Friday, October 24, 2008

Me in 1986



In honor of my semi-triumphant trip back to Kutztown University, I thought I'd post this picture from my Freshman year.

So why is this event 'semi-triumphant'?

Because after over 20 years I STILL have bad hair.

Regardless, I'll be showing some pretty fun stuff tonight, including:

• The first animated 'films' I did in college shot on sooper grainy Super 8 film and transferamafied to VHS and then digitally transferamated to DVD.
(it's a wonder anyone gave me a job rewatching these things...ugh)
• A clip from "The Maltese Cat', a theatrical short based on the story by Rudyard Kipling and one of the first films I got to work on.
(don't blink or you'll miss the inbetween drawings I did)
• Lots of commercials- some never aired for assorted bizarre reasons!
• A banned episode of Beavis and Butthead!
• "The Tale of Mr. Morton', one of the new Schoolhouse Rock songs I directed.
• My first Cartoon Network pilot 'Kenny and the Chimp'
• The Kids Next Door pilot
• And more, more, more!

What better reason could there possibly be to go Kutztown on a friday night?

Don't answer that.

5 comments:

melody-gr said...

I really want to be there but I can't! There's a ... distance problem!!! (I sent you my email!!)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, once again for an amazing night!

I loved and enjoyed every second of it. Your presentation was amazing, I loved seeing your progression.

And even though I was nervous and twitching when I came up to you, I was just excited to actually meet you so much.

I will never forget this night, this really made my week the best.

Though, I think I really need to work on my meeting people a little better if I even want to get into the art field. It's something i'm trying. I hate to admit I am one of those 'weird' art students who just draws all day long and does not speak a word. But, it has gotten me somewhere, I certainly have improved over the past month even in my first semester of college ( less school work = more drawing time )!

All in all, I am essentially the cartoon loving, anime watching, manga reading, pokemon playing kind of person myself.

Thank you, again and again. ;) I'll probably keep saying it forever.

I could probably go on and on and keep saying a whole bunch of things, but i'll cut it before it turns into one hell of a monster.

( and I will hold onto that little doodle and photo with you forever -- I just hope that doesn't sound too creepy. ... )

- Steph Koch

Lifty said...

I had a good time- thanks for taking a look at some of my scrap/crap work! Hopefully I'll progress and get better for your next "semi-triumphant" return back to the middle of nowhere. I have the majority of my admissions portfolio posted on my blogspot if you'd want to take a look (that is of course when you find yourself bored out of your mind and have nothing better to do).

Mikey!

nothanks said...

Your hair like that is so hilarious.And I couldn`t make it!!(yes,I`m anserwing the question you don`t want me to anserw)First off the distance from Tennessee and Pynnslvainna!And it was my little bro.`s 5th birthday plus the night of the Masqueraude Ball at my school.And last my sister absolutly hate KND(but the weird thing is I think she likes Kenny and the Chimp)So why is it so unfair that I couldn`t go,why????

Anonymous said...

I know it's been a while, but I'd like to thank you for for the excellent talk at Kutztown two weeks ago.

It was fascinating and enlightening to see how your work progressed over the years, and I loved hearing the insight into how simultaneously exciting and frustrating work in the animation industry could be.

My friends and I had a ton of fun that night, and I really appreciated the time you took to look at my sketchbook. I still have yet to develop a complete portfolio apart from modest pages on DeviantArt and Flickr (I'm still working on the whole starting-drawings-and-actually-finishing-them thing), but I'm flattered that you gave me feedback on what I had. Thanks a lot for that!

The event was nothing short of awesome, and I'll be looking forward to that pilot on Disney and whatever work you've got ahead. Thanks again for coming back to Kutztown!

— Kate S.