Tuesday, October 14, 2008

SKETCHBOOKS


Me love sketchbooks.

Especially these 9x12 Canson jobs with the heavy cardboard covers.

For me they're part diary, part idea factory, part show piece, part time capsule, part therapist, and thing to stuff other things into. Aside from the usual writing and drawing for work, i scribble in what songs i'm listening to, what i'm reading and watching, assorted loose ideas that come to mind and other detritus of life. I also tape in pictures and quotes from books and magazines i'm reading.



And there's this great feeling when I finish one. Like I've got this little piece of my life documented. Sometimes it takes 6 months to fill one... sometimes just a month. Either way, you've got this physical THING that kinda shows what was going through your head at that time in your life.



But there's also this terror when you're starting a new book. Being faced with a big book of empty white pages... so full of possibilities- or stinky drawings that remind you to go back to art school. Hence this page from the new book I started last week:

5 comments:

Claire said...

Hehe reminds me of what our College lecturer told us to do, but it was way more work orientated... It's certainly an awesome idea though, thanks for letting us have a look!

Kieran Pertnav said...

me like sketchbooks too. me draws in sketchbooks constantly in skool. (I'm not making fun of you, I actually think talking that way is cool! :)

Anonymous said...

I love these sketch books! And did that kid really say that "F" word was in the show? o.O I'd get smacked if I ever said that word at that age...

mr. warburton said...

like it says... that was a true story! when the kid said it i totally did a double-take because i wasn't sure i heard him correctly. and for a split second my mind raced to figure out which episode he was talking about. obviously, that word NEVER got used.

Christine Y. Chong said...

me has sketch cabinets of sketch piles, folders etc. :P I like detached pages. lol~ But looking through sketchbooks are always fun. I love those people who do good sketchbooks.