Saturday, June 27, 2009

CELLIN' OUT!


Whenever I wade into the jungle of my old files, swinging my machete right and left to clear through the miasma of paper and cel, I invariably come across some fun, often postable stuff. Case in point the image above. That there's my very first business card circa 1990, which I neglected to mention in my former post about business cards-- mainly because i didn't think I had any kicking around. Every once and while, an old pal will pull one out of their wallet to show me they've got one, but I thought all mine were gone. Apparently not so!

It was actually my first attempt at an animation cel. I got some sheets of acetate, ran 'em through a xerox machine and then used some sort of acrylic paint to color it. Not the prettiest thing, but it did the job.

And that's still my parents phone number- hence the strategic blocking out. Don't want you weirdos calling my parents and asking personal questions about me.

And speaking of cels, the picture below was a cel set-up I included in my original pitch for Kenny and the Chimp. And yup, you guessed it. That there's an original Gideon Kendall hand-painted background, done back before we were rockin' Pepper Ann and Kids Next Door together.



The original pilot episode I wanted to do was called 'Got Your Nose' and concerned Chimpy constantly stealing Kenny's nose off his face. That's what's he's got in his hand, high-tailing it out of the kitchen like a monkey that just stole yer nose.

Also, please note Kenny's watermelon-shaped head... which later got changed to more of a basketball-shape because Cartoon Network thought he looked too much like Hey Arnold.

So throw your hands in the air and shout if you like old school!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really would be awesome to see other kenny and chimpy episodes

~jazzy

Jason said...

i remember kenny and the chimp, that was the first time i saw PROFESSOR TRIPLE-EXTRA LARGE! best character ever! Also didn't you do a swine flu disease kenny got? predicted the future. i remember he had a pig for a head. Cartoon Network really missed out on that, it would've been great. :D

Brubaker said...

OLD SCHOOL!

I've actually collected cels of other shows, in fact. I have a bunch of cels from that "Mother Goose & Grimm" cartoon nobody watched.

Numbuh 9.494 said...

I actually laughed when I read the part about Kenny looking too much like Hey Arnold. :D