Monday, June 10, 2013

A SKETCHBOOK FROM THE EARLY 90's

In the grand tradition of
trotting out an old sketchbook
to show you 
whilst
I slowly grind away at
my latest,
I give you
THIS:


This pile of pulp started on 
May 28th, 1992


I was two years into my animation career
and sooper busy on the first season of 
Beavis and Butthead
at


I worked alot
and
smoked too much:


I did assistant animation
on this MTV id
by the ultimate


So he drew me this:


I volunteered on
in my free time:



Not sure who this guy was based on:


We always listened to Howard Stern at the studio,
so how surprised was I when
Mr. Sedelmaier brought
and
in for a visit:



Back then
our good friend Lil
opened up a bar called 
Me and my cronies could usually be found there
playing on the darts team.
Working the door.
Playing pinball.
Or just lounging about:


We did a Converse commercial
starring 
Creator
Brandon McKinney 
sketched me this:



Sooper powered 
cartoonist
was kind enough to do 
some scribblin' for me:


I used to wear big bear slippers around the studio.
When I'd take the elevator from the 3rd floor studio 
to the upstairs offices of JJSP
the the guys from the law offices in the building 
would look at me funny:



Old school NYC graffiti artist
Todd James
did some time at
JJSP
and got a hold of my sketchbook
at one the many rooftop parties
at my apartment
on 2nd avenue
between 5th and sixth:




Which reminds me of the time I rocked the bottom 
of a pool in the Hamptons...

WITH MY FACE:



Almost scraped off a nipple, too.
But it made for a lot of
good skechbook fodder:



I bought my first computer,
160mb hard drive, yo!


And then on
September 17, 1994
(almost two and a 1/2 years later)
it was done:


Back then I was working crazy hours
and animating non-stop
so getting through a sketchbook took a lot longer.

I find it fascinating how much time 
I spent drawing myself back then.
I don't do that much these days.

That's the great thing about keeping these
sketchbook/journal/diary
thingies.
They're true time capsules.

I hope you're 
filling up sketchbooks, too!





1 comment:

Asterisk said...

gotta say your life is/was kool.