Monday, September 29, 2014

ASSORTED BITS OF OTTAWA 2014



I think I've made it 
abundantly clear that the
2014 OTTAWA INTERNATIONAL 
ANIMATION FESTIVAL
was 
Das Boomba.

So allow me to share some more
pics
tidbits
ephemera
and 
doodles
from my trip.

Here's a sketch 
did while I was being
interviewed for the 


The schedule for those of us on
 the feature jury wasn't too bad:

But it was busy enough that I didn't get to
see too many other screenings.

DID 
make it to
PEN & INK:
CREATING CHARACTERS WITH NICKELODEON

Specifically, it was about Nick's upcoming new show
PIG GOAT BANANA CRICKET!
Creators Dave Cooper,
and Executive Producer David Sacks
told us all sorts of fun stuff about what goes into the making of
this weirdo show.


They even did a live-drawing of a new character
where the audience was encouraged to 
suggest what body parts it was made up of:


And the name I suggested,
BACON-n-KEGS
(because of it's beer keg body and
umbrella with a piece of bacon on the end)
was picked,
which was kind of cool.

While we're on the topic of
live-drawing,
kind of stuff, 
we were out late one night and
introduced us to an interesting game.
We were each given five pieces of paper.
On the first piece of paper we were instructed to
"write anything in the world"

For example:


Then everyone passed their 
stack of paper to the left.
On page two we were instructed 
to DRAW what was written on page one.


The stack was passed again
and we were told to 
describe what was 
drawn on page two:


And on page four
the next person had to draw what 
was written on page three


And then one more time...


Essentially it's a surreal form of 
whisper down the lane.
I'd show you some of the other drawings,
but I'd get arrested.

Here's another caricature someone did of me.
At least I think it's me.
It might be Jay Leno.


And then there's the
forever awesome
ANIMATOR'S PICNIC.
As if eating and drinking 
in a park
on a beautiful fall day
isn't enough,
there's pumpkin carving:











{sigh}

The Ottawa International 
Animation Festival...

It's enough to make 
David O'Reilly hug
festival director
Chris Robinson:




No comments: