Thursday, September 4, 2014

IT'S GOT THAT OLD SKETCHBOOK SMELL


Dang son,
I can't seem to get through sketchbooks
like I used to!

There are just too many
sooper secret projects
happening!
Hopefully I'll be able to tell you 
about some of them soon!

In the meantime,
let's dial the
wayback machine
to early 2006
and
take a peeksie
through
this:


This was around the time
Head Writer of Wrongs 
Andy Rheingold and I were
getting close to finishing up
writing stories for
season six of KND.


Yeah,
it was kind of stressful.
Back then I wasn't drawing much.
I was mainly beating out stories
over and over again
until the structure felt right.

Here's an early stab at
Operation: CARAMEL



Tick tick tick...


Here's an very early start to
Operation: GIRLFRIEND:



And here's a space sausage:


Before I even knew
Wow Wow Wubbzy
creator
Bob Boyle,
I already thought he 
rocked:


True this:


A visit to Nickelodeon:


My heart gets all smooshy when I 
find stuff like this in old
sketchbooks:


On the other hand,
I have 
ABSOLUTELY
NO
POOPIN'
IDEA
what this 
letter is in 
reference to:


And yes,
this sketchbook was 
powered by
Scramble Energy:


I love saving passages from books I like and 
taping them into sketchbooks.


Not sure if this was before or after
OPERATION: NAUGHTY:


Billy Wilder rules the school:


I really liked reading
in 
Shonen Jump.
And I still think this spread,
with all it's diverse characters,
is pure milk chocolate:



Before my iPhone,
this was how I kept track of things
I needed to do:










WTF?
Thor Bunny?


This 
STILL
makes me 
giggle:



And finally,
it's always a good idea to
write down things your kids say
because
ADORABLE:


And that's all I got for ya.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could show you a
NEWLY FINISHED
sketchbook 
in the next 5 years?!

I'll work on it.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I finally decided to check out posts made by the famous Mr. Warburton. Just from this, I've come to the conclusion that you're probably the coolest person ever.
It was truly your simple goal of just letting loose and having fun that made the KND such a great time for everyone.

Signed,
soopuh secret adult agent

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Than you for sharing this. Sometimes I have a hard time with sketchbook work. I forget the sketchbook is a place to just let go and let stuff happen. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

Anonymous said...

Is one of your "sooper secret projects" a new show, and if so, is it a show that you actually CREATED? The only shows you seem to do nowadays are ones that you are an executive producer on. That's it.
Also, I hope that your new show will have some influence from anime like some of your sketchbook drawings, many of which have Japanese kanji symbols on!

DCFDTL Sooper Fan said...

Blasphemy! Your newly finished sketchbooks are nice, but I love all these old KND era ones! :D Reading all the extra notes and how episodes were cobbled together makes any day a way sooper cooler day! I like the stickers too, you can't find those anymore Dx Not even on the ebayz!