Monday, September 21, 2015

THE 2015 NAUTICA MALIBU TRIATHALON

What is the estimated f-----g 
idiotic self-imposed nightmare 
completion time of this event?

That's the text I received at 4:30am
from a sooper friend
who was very upset with me for
doing a dumb triathalon instead of attending the
Ottawa International Animation Festival
(where it was NOT 4:30am)

And it 
WAS
dumb.

I had to get up at 3:45am to go

SWIM 1/2 A MILE IN THE OCEAN

BIKE ALONG THE COAST FOR 18 MILES

and

RUN FOR 4 MILES ALONGSIDE ZUMA BEACH

And for 
WHAT?!

It's not like they were giving away 
free Pokemon cards after you were done.

But it
WAS
beautiful at that hour:


For those of you that keep up on 
warburtonlabs facts,

And it was sooper hard!
I was especially disappointed with my swim.
I just wasn't ready for the madness of it.
(I've likened it to the opening sequence of
Saving Private Ryan... only with more swim caps)

But this year I was intent 
on beating the ocean!


So I got myself checked in
along with my neighbor-in-crime,
Darren.


I got marked up
(so nice of them to give me the year I was born)


I set up my transition area,
where you keep your gear
 inbetween events:



And then it was time to go!

And you know what?
I done good!

Where last year I finished in
two hours and 21 minutes,
this year I did it in 
2:07!



The last mile of the run was the worst!
So hot!
So tired!
(So dumb!)


I mentioned it in last year's post,
but my absolute favorite thing
about the event is the people.

EVERYONE IS THERE!
Women.
Men.
Young.
Old.
Older still.
Fat.
Skinny.
Fit.
Flabby.
People kicking their disabilities to the curb.

EVERYONE
is there to challenge themselves.

And that's cool.

So will I do it
again?

I dunno.
But I just might be dumb enough to.




1 comment:

Mariana =] said...

Seems fun and exhausting, not dumb ;P